Making accessibility simpler in Higher Education and beyond!
A "Lunch and Learn" session at TechSharePro 2022 delivered on 16 November 2022.
Presentation recording and transcript
Let's review three approaches to making accessibility more approachable for busy colleagues by answering these three questions:
- How can we demystify alternative text for complex images like charts and graphs?
- How can we simplify accessible brand palette colour choices?
- How can we amplify engagement with accessibility?
While this session is based on experiences within the Higher Education sector, they are applicable in other organisations.
Resources and links
Slides in PowerPoint format [20MB PPTX]
Demystify alternative text for complex images like charts and graphs
- The WebAIM Million.
- What is alternative text? How do I write it for images, charts, and graphs?
- Diagram Center: How to describe complex images.
- NWEA Image Description Guidelines for Assessments
- POET Training Tool
- Described by textBox Digital
Simplify accessible brand palette colour choices
- Accessibility Matrix for University of Southampton Brand Colour Palette
- How to request a matrix for your colour palette
- Accessible color palette builder
- Contrast Grid
- UoS Brand Accessible Colour Suggester
- tanaguru contrast finder
Optimal Overlay Finder
- From the article, Nailing the Perfect Contrast Between Light Text and a Background Image by Yaphi Berhanu.
Amplify engagement with accessibility?
- Implementation plan: Turn on "keep accessibility checker running while I work"
- Training webinar, slides, and materials: Better content, made easy: using the accessibility inspector in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Quick Fire Round!
- Representation Creates Reality - Keely Cat-Wells & Dan Edge (A11yTalks - August 2022)
- Disability Inclusive Stock Photography
- Disabled And Here Collection
- Accessibility Maze
- Planning and Managing Web Accessibility from the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
- Making IT accessible for all!
- MagentA11y: Accessibility Acceptance Criteria
- Accessible IT Procurement
- Government Digital Service Accessibility Testing Guide
- Canaxxes Screen reader testing guide
- ScreenReader app helps you to learn how to use VoiceOver and TalkBack.
- DWP Accessibility Manual
- Alistair McNaught's Tools and platforms QuickCheck
- Accessibility Interview Questions
- TeachAccess Accessibility Tutorial
- "Allyphant" also provides a set of accessibility tutorials for developers.
- Accessibility Newsletters and Blogs